February 10, 2014

...the best waffles

This recipe is no joke. I come from a long line of waffle-makers. I have so many memories of my grandmother making us waffles for breakfast on weekends.

Now, my mom can also make a mean waffle. A lazy, coffee drinking, waffle making morning has become standard for weekends at home in Charlottesville. And then we freeze the waffles and I steal them to eat all week for breakfast. So you see, I come by it naturally, the love for waffles.

I am finally the owner of a waffle iron and have been making this recipe for a couple weeks, freezing them and eating one every morning for breakfast. Casey eats two, because he's fat (just kidding, its because he's a boy and they eat more right?) But the best part is that they are SUPER healthy, like as healthy as a waffle can really get unless you blend up some spinach and throw it in the batter. (If you do try that let me know how it goes.)

This recipe is based off a full on vegan recipe from my fav blog Minimalist Baker, but I changed them a bit to add real eggs and greek yogurt.




The Tastiest Waffles Ever
2 eggs
2 tbsp molasses
5.3 oz (one small container) greek yogurt
2 tbsp coconut oil (you could use canola)
1 tbsp baking powder
5 tbsp brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon 

1 cup almond milk, more if you think its needed (feel free to use whatever milk is your fav)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup almond meal (I buy this at Trader Joe's, its the cheapest I've found)

Mix together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, then add the almond milk, flour, and almond meal. It makes a good amount of waffles, and just stick whatever is left in the freezer!

So, oddly enough, I find these better after they've been frozen and put in the toaster to be reheated, but they're just all around delicious. My favorite topping is almond butter and a little bit of maple syrup, Casey's fav is peanut butter and bananas. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...